Auroran Era

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staff

Top posting users this month

No user

Latest topics

» He Knows Not Where He Be [Open]
Like Humans Do [Closed] EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 4:11 am by Dai

» Returning Home [Closed]
Like Humans Do [Closed] EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 8:32 pm by Tsubine

» Serenity's Face Claims
Like Humans Do [Closed] EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm by Serenity

» Escape from Ezon [CLOSED]
Like Humans Do [Closed] EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 3:25 am by Serenity

» Running on Idle [Closed]
Like Humans Do [Closed] EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 8:06 am by Schnockles

» The Deflowering [Closed]
Like Humans Do [Closed] EmptyWed Oct 19, 2016 5:34 pm by Schnockles

» Serenity's Character List
Like Humans Do [Closed] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 am by Serenity

» Amelia Bennett [APPROVED, 3-5]
Like Humans Do [Closed] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 9:44 am by Tsubine

» Kenta [Approved; 1-2]
Like Humans Do [Closed] EmptyMon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 am by Serenity

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 4514 messages in 615 subjects

We have 20 registered users

The newest registered user is Illthion

3 posters

Like Humans Do [Closed]

Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Like Humans Do [Closed] Empty Like Humans Do [Closed]

Post by Tsubine Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:18 pm

Like Humans Do [Closed] Header7

There is a time and a place for everything. There is a time to cry, and there is a time to stand up. There is a time to question, and there is a time to answer. There is a time to sleep, and there is a time to wake up. To Hacil Ensandraen, her time had not come. To her, her time would never come. There would never a tale of her life passed down to the next generation, and she would just fade into history like many of her ancestors and Elven brethren.

Nearly a week ago, Hacil learned of a possible lead to her sister's location. It was a long shot, but it was the first promising thing she had heard. A strange, ditzy, blonde girl asking for a way out of the country was a good place to start. Especially with where she may be going... a place like Almarc in Cieria would be the perfect place for a strange one like Nahbe to disappear in. If this were right, then the search team needed to find Nahbe as quickly as possible.

Not knowing where to look, Hacil followed tips from villagers on strange occurrences. She followed rivers and streams, trying to see if her sisters left any sort of trail. She thought she had one. Unfortunately, she lost it after another heavy rainstorm the night before. Hacil would do her best to find some trace of her two sisters... She had to. Otherwise, her plan might not work. The sooner Nahbe was found, the better.

It was the early morning, and Hacil's red eyes didn't adjust well to the sunlight. Hazy and burning from a lack of a good sleep, they struggled to see anything. Getting only slightly dressed, Hacil took her belongings and found a nearby small lake. The water was cool and refreshing, but Hacil did't particularly care for cold baths. As she undressed, she let the heat radiate from her body, raising the temperature of the clear water. She didn't know this might affect the ecosystem, but it did feel good. That's what mattered to her.

Natural salves and herbs cleaned her body as she rubbed her aching arms and legs down. Her body was getting weaker, and she could feel it. It worried her, but only a few mumblings of 'I can do it' was all that she let show about it. If she dared to let her pain show, Hacil would only be compared to Elywn again—and be told that Elwyn could withstand twice that. The mere thought of that caused her teeth to grind, and the water around her began to steam up.

Hacil stumbled her way over to a rock jutting out of the water and leaned against it. It was relaxing as she sat down in the shallow water, watching small fish pass around her. She whispered to some of them, telling them of her problems. They didn't seem to react, but she continued. Someone needed to know the burdens she carried. However, a snapping of a twig caught Hacil's ears. Hacil barely looked up, her had not moving at all. She fumbled around on the floor until she found a single rock of decent size. Knowing her powers might just set the entire forest on fire... Hacil threw the rock in the direction of the disturbance.

Hacil stood up, and immediately sat on the rock, crossing her legs. "I suggest you come out. Next time, you might just find yourself on fire. Her voice almost sounded like her older sister's, but it was slightly deeper and had a very different 'feel' to it. Hacil's voice swung like a ceremonial sword. It was equally beautiful and dangerous, but with the hint of being ever so fragile like a frosty morn. It had its own weight, and that weight was determined by those who bore it. In the case of this day, its bearers would be the ears of the person moving around in the underbrush.

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Like Humans Do [Closed] Empty Re: Like Humans Do [Closed]

Post by Schnockles Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Like Humans Do [Closed] SnopyAE_zps1054f6b7

The rain from the eventful day before had stopped.  Clouds still hung in the sky, slowly drifting with the breeze.  Rays of light shined down, penetrating the trees above creating intricate patterns on the ground below.  The land was still moist from the harsh rainfall of the previous day.  Considering the events that had transpired the day before, a certain human was not being required to train today.  He was plenty sore, and his muscles were hard at work performing their overcompensation.  Once the soreness subsided he'd definitely have a little more muscle than before in his legs.  This cycle of pain and muscle growth would likely be one that has no end in near sight.  Things were running through this man's mind at a mile a minute.  Snopy Saika, the day before he had been in an intense situation what almost ended in him being sold as a sex slave with an elf he was trying to save.  There were so many things about himself that he didn't understand.  His actions never seemed to coincide with what he believed.  When he has no hope of victory, he feels that is the time to run.  Yet he remained to try and help even though he stood no chance.  He doesn't trust anyone, and yet he travels with someone who could kill him with the flick of her wrist.  None of it made sense.  "You, Snopy, are a good man and I will train you until you will easily be able to handle people like them. Even with your current lack of fighting skill and how tired you are, you stayed and fought for my sister... For that, you have my respect. And for that, I will help you with whatever quest you actually do have. People do not wish to learn to fight if they've never had a reason to do so; I know there is something you're not ready to tell us. I will not pry, but once you are ready, know you have my aid for completing it..."

Those words repeated in his head, word for word he could remember it all.  A good man.  Snopy had a definition of a good man, and in his mind he most certainly didn't fit the profile.  What would she have thought of him if she had known every fiber of logic and reasoning in his body had shouted at him to "abandon her".  A good man used that logic and reasoning to help, not run away.  Then again, why did he completely ignore that logic and reason?  Why did he stop and try and save her?  In his head he was simply failing to acknowledge that he still had a lot of emotions, and a good heart.  There were reasons for everything he did, and yet he did not yet understand them.  There was so much about himself that he didn't know, that he had lost touch with.  He remembered the look on Elwyn's face when she said what she had said the day before.  He was definitely being judged, but her words were actually kind, though somehow they seemed to have a harsher feeling when being delivered.  What...is she thinking?  For so long, he had blindly assumed that she had an ulterior motive.  No one does nice things to help him without one after all.  Yet for once that belief had been shaken.  He didn't know what to think...and why was it that he had cared if he let them down?

He wasn't exactly focused on where he was going, and things became weird when he inadvertently stepped on a twig.  Suddenly something came flying through the air.  It was as if there was a freeze frame, the rock sat in the air.  Snopy glanced up, and a dotted line moved from his eyes to the rock.  Then everything seemed to move at full speed once more and the rock hit him right in the face.  "Ow."  He spoke in a half hearted manner, just saying "ow" in a tone that almost sounded disinterested.  That is when he heard a female voice, in a weird way it sounded vaguely familiar (though he knew he hadn't heard this voice in the past) state that she'd set him on fire.  Fire?  FIRE!  A few things clicked in Snopy's head before he realized that she meant him.  "Woah woah, that's a little drastic!"  She shouted out as he put his hands in the air, palms open, to show he had nothing he intended to attack her with.  He came out from the cover, to find a lake.  Sitting on a rock was a woman, an elf actually.  "..."  Snopy's face flared up, turning an incredibly bright red.  The metaphorical sweat drop dropped down his head as he looked forward.  This woman was completely naked.  He stood staring for a moment, dazed, before snapping back to reality.  "You realize you're naked right?!"  She was by no means unattractive, but he knew just staring at a woman while she was naked was incredibly rude.  He turned his head, but the obvious redness of his face was still easily noticeable.  "I'm sorry...I shouldn't be looking right?  Please don't set me on fire.  I didn't mean to look."  Snopy was worried that she'd set him in fire for seeing her naked, but he had to keep a cool head.  Right now he wanted to make sure she had as few reasons to set him on fire as humanly possible.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Humor : "Then just like before: the only way to steal is to steal from the mafia!"

Post by Tsubine Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Truth be told, Hacil didn't think that through. It could have been a damn bear, and the next thing she would've gotten would've been a loud roar. The thought didn't sink in, as Hacil was one to impulsively do things. Thinking and patience were her sisters' virtues, not hers. As she heard a man speak up as she threatened her intruder with fire, her began to ready a bolt of fire just in case.

However, the first thing she saw of this man was his hands. They were up and open, to show a lack of hostility. As she saw him coming closer, Hacil did cross her legs. She didn't care to cover her breasts, but she did not want to just be spreading it for him. He might get the wrong idea, and Hacil wasn't in the mood to lose her virginity to a man just yet.

As the man exited the underbrush, his face turned as red as Hacil's eyes. Hacil kept her bolt charged, ready to fire if he made a sudden movement or two. But the only sudden movement he made was maybe him moving a branch away from his head. And then she heard a question so out of the blue, the elf lost her balance and slipped back into the water. "You realize you're naked right?!" She blinked, and looked at him with a very confused eyebrow raise.

"Well no shit I'm naked. I was taking a bath." Hacil regained her posture and sat in the water cross-legged. "What, are there humans that bathe fully clothed or something?" Hacil knew a little of some human culture from her escapades outside of the Ensandraen clan. The man apologized for looking, and Hacil just waved it off. "No big deal." Hacil's eyes closed as she continued to speak.

"Most people look at Elves with disgust or filled with perverse curiosity, so I've learned not to care as much..." Hacil opened her eyes and looked to him. "Since you're not one of those perverts, I'm a little curious as to how you came across me. I think I'm off of the beaten trail... unless there's some trail I don't know about, in which I've made a bad mistake in bathing here apparently."

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:15 pm

The woman had taken the time to cross her legs so she wasn't just spreading it for him, but she didn't make any attempt to hide her breasts.  This of course didn't help the redness in Snopy's face.  The woman had something ready, which Snopy worried would kill him if she did whatever it was she could do.  When he asked her if she realized she was naked, she apparently was caught off guard and fell into the water.  Snopy raised an eyebrow right back at her reaction.  She went on to act like it should have been obvious she was taking a bath, and would thus be naked as a result.  She went back to her previous pose, this time in the water rather than on a rock.  "Well I'm sorry, I just don't expect to find naked women bathing in lakes when I'm in the middle of the wilderness.  Not to mention most people aren't so casual when a stranger sees them naked."  A bit of sarcasm was present in his voice for the first statement, and the second statement was merely an explanation as to why he'd ask such a silly question.  "And no, where I come from people bathe naked."  He responded in a non-sarcastic manner to the second question.  He knew people with a fear of being naked might bathe in their clothes, but normally they were indeed naked.

Snopy still had his eyes averted, as long as she wasn't clothed he wouldn't be able to look at her with a face that wasn't solid red.  Still, she said no big deal, so he slowly turned his head back to her, but he locked his eyes on hers so he wouldn't be looking at the rest of her body.  Still, knowing it was there and uncovered didn't help his composure.  Hacil began to explain how most humans looked at elves, and Snopy sighed.  "I am...painfully aware of that fact.  I'd rather not be compared to those people though thank you."  There was obviously something more to what he was saying.  It wasn't just a flat statement, it was obvious something related to how most people treat elves was bugging him.  This woman had no way of knowing that he almost got killed trying to protect an elf from people like that.  He almost seemed a little sad when she mentioned it, which was hard to hide considering he had his eyes locked on hers to avoid "peeking".

She did not lump him in with those others however.  Apparently she recognized he was treating her like a person and not different because she was an elf.  She began to ask how he stumbled across her, and if she was closer to a main road than she thought.  "No, this is fairly out of the way.  The nearest major road is quite a distance away."  He began to explain.  "I've been training myself.  Easier to do that out here than in a city honestly."  He wasn't telling the whole truth, but he was making it very convincing.  "I went out for a walk, and then a rock hit me in the face, thank you by the way, I appreciated it."  He said sarcastically.  "And well here I am.  As far as I know bathing here wasn't exactly a mistake, I just happened to stumble across this lake when you doing it."  Snopy blinked a few times.  "Something about you seems vaguely familiar, but I must be imagining it."
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:40 pm

Hacil liked the banter she exchanged with this guy. He could keep up with her! She wasn't being told that her sarcasm was 'rude' and 'unladylike.' If only this wasn't such an odd circumstance. "Good to know our peoples may not be so different. I'd have to question your culture's sanity if you bathed with your clothes on." Hacil had a bit of a smile as she dropped her charged bolt.

After falling, the conversation took an interesting turn as she compared this man to other people who have seen Elves. It seemed she struck a nerve, but it only furthered her curiosity. She'd have to ask if he dealt with Elves or something. Hell, maybe he was screwing one. Isn't the first time that shit's happened, I mean, Nahbe is a half-blood.

Hacil was glad that her bathing spot seemed to be away from the road. As much as she doesn't particularly care about someone seeing her body, Hacil didn't want to just show it to everyone. Not being surprised when someone walks in on you is different than just walking around naked. She sighed a bit in relief as he continued. The moment he mentioned that rock, Hacil instinctively responded with a nonchalant "Don't mention it."

There was a hint of sarcasm, but it seemed to be more of an automated response to someone being a smartass to her about something she had done. Its flavor had long since disappeared from her mouth. But the one thing that truly caught her ear... was that he said she was familiar. She would recognize a guy like him, and she wasn't a common elf. She was somewhat stocky and busty, but most of all, she had deep scarlet eyes. So Hacil had no idea what would be 'familiar' about it.

Hacil narrowed her eyes, then stood up as she turned away and went to the shore where her things lay out. She dressed herself—and it didn't take even a single minute since she didn't have much to put on. She immediately went over to Snopy. She hadn't said a single word, and she was looking him up and down. And then... she sniffed him.

With her eyes even more narrowed, she stared at him for a moment as the scents she picked up from him separated themselves. Behind his own smell and the sweat, there was the scent of someone else. No... two more. And Hacil knew their scent all too well. She sighed, muttering something in Elven. "I think I might know why you think I'm familiar, but it doesn't matter." She turned to him and actually extended a hand like a human would. "Name's Hacil. You?"

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:26 pm

Finally this woman dropped what appeared to be a readied death sentence.  She said how she'd have to question his culture's sanity if they bathed with their clothes on, but he didn't really see it that way.  Who knows, maybe some culture could come up with some fancy way to clean both the person and their clothes in one fell swoop.  Then it might just save time.  Of course, he was likely over thinking things.  He was a bit of an eccentric at times, and he had some strange ideas that didn't really fit in with Arcadian culture, though he was by all means Arcadian.  He was completely unaware of the "thoughts" that were going through her head, probably for the better.  Of course, when Snopy sarcastically "thanked" her she replied with an equally sarcastic, though surprisingly natural, "Don't mention it."  Someone with sarcasm to match him?  Snopy didn't come across people like this often, perhaps a worthy adversary!  He was trying really hard not to upset Elwyn or Nilani so he had been resisting all urges to make sarcastic remarks.  Granted, if what Elwyn said is true, he might be able to loosen up a bit when not training.  He was sarcastic, but not offensive.

When Snopy briefly mentioned she seemed familiar, she began to look at him...more intently?  More closely?  He wasn't sure exactly what she was doing, but she seemed a bit more focused on him.  She traveled to shore and put on her modest amount of clothing.  He chose not to comment on it for he no longer had to stare into her eyes to avert his gaze from about a foot lower.  His gaze eased up and it was no longer completely locked to one spot.  That's not to say he was looking up and down her body, but now his head seemed less stiff.  The woman came up to him and glanced him up and down, and then...she sniffed him?  "An elf is sniffing me, there is a person sniffing me right now."  His tone wasn't shocked or awkward, but more of a "Huh, this is new" type response.  When she pulled back, he clapped his hands together.  "Well, I can officially check be sniffed by a stranger of my list of super important things to do before I die."  He said jokingly.  Not quite sarcastic, just jokingly.

The result of this whole thing was "I think I might know why you think I'm familiar, but it doesn't matter."  He raised an eyebrow.  He heard her muttering something in a language he didn't understand.  "Ooooookay, that isn't suspicious at all."  After that one last sarcastic remark it move onto introductions.  She introduced herself as Hacil, and extended her hand out.  Did elves do handshakes?  Or was she just mimicking human culture because he was a human?  Still, he extended his arm the other halfway and connected it to hers.  "Snopy Saika."  He didn't mention the oddness of his name, he hoped that she wouldn't notice since she was an elf.  If he was from a different culture than her, she might not realize Snopy isn't a normal person's name anywhere.  "Soooooo."  Snopy began to ask.  "What are you doing this far out in the woods?  You don't have to tell me all the details if you don't want, but I would like to know why you are here and...more importantly, lobbing projectiles at my head."  He put emphasis on that last part.  He'd drop it easily, and it was obvious he wasn't holding a grudge for it.  He was just showing his strange sense of humor.  If she took it too seriously he'd counter her with "I'm kidding don't worry.  Realistically I can't blame you for being on the defense."
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:21 am

Hacil didn't care about his sarcasm or his comments about her sniffing him. It was an odd thing to do, she'd admit. However, she had to be sure. If this guy was near her sisters, then it might just be a fast-track to Elwyn and Nilani. At this point, she was going for whatever trail she could find when it came to searching for them. This guy just so happened to have their scent. It was luck or fate, but she preferred luck—'fate' was a bad omen to Hacil.

Hacil was actually kind-of glad this guy might lead her to her sisters—whether unwittingly or not. He seemed decently pleasant and not hostile so far, so in the mind of a combat-based Elf, he wasn't going to pose a threat yet. Emphasis on yet. As a sign of cooperation—as per the human custom—Hacil had extended her hand as she introduced herself. The man's name was odd—to an Elf. Granted, all human names are odd to Elves like Hacil, so she knew it would not sound entirely 'correct' in her head. Although she was not as smart as her sister Elwyn, she did have some smarts about her.

After getting his name and shaking hands, Hacil moved over to a nearby fallen tree and sat down as Snopy began to talk. Crossing her legs, she began to braid the one side of her hair. "I'm looking for someone who is also looking for someone. I have a lead to where their target is, and unless I deliver it face-to-face, the message would just get ripped to shreds." Hacil sighed, as she knew Elwyn would just ignore a written message from Hacil. It was annoying as fuck, but c'est la vie. "I had a trail on them, but..."

Hacil finished braiding her hair and looked at him in the eyes for once. "That storm last night and yesterday really has thrown me off. Seriously, why did it have to be right as it seemed I was getting close to them?" Hacil's bad luck seemed to follow her, and yesterday was no exception. "As for lobbing that rock at your head..."

Hacil's eyes darted to the side, and her face remained about the same—save for a few minor things. It relaxed ever so slightly, but not in a particularly 'good' way. It was more like the muscles she used to keep up a pleasant demeanor said 'nah, not right now.' Combined with a sigh and her tone of voice, it was obvious she didn't like what she was about to say. "There's only a single person in my clan that seems to like me, so I feel as though someday I'm going to get... what's the human word... Oh— 'whacked.'"

Hacil perked up a little, although it was forced, and turned her gaze back to him. "Plus I'm not exactly from around here, so I don't quite know what kind of creatures live in the forests. But thankfully it wasn't a bear or a troll, just a cute young man out for a walk." Hacil had a smile grow on her face as she 'complimented' (read: teased) Snopy. "You said you were trainin' yourself? You a soldier or something? You don't quite look like one..."

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Hacil made no remarks regarding the fact that she was sniffing him.  It was a little strange to be sniffed and get no explanations.  While he didn't smell particularly bad as he had washed himself off recently, he knew he couldn't have smelled particularly good either.  There was no foreseeable reason she'd do that.  However, he also didn't known elven culture, and since she wasn't doing something openly hostile he chose not to worry about it.  Hacil moved over to a tree and listened as Snopy spoke.  She seemed to take the opportunity to put a braid in her hair, though Snopy just ignored it.  She began to explain how she was trying to find someone, who was also trying to find someone, which sounded a little trippy.  One part he took as an interesting note was it would get ripped up if not delivered face to face.  "I take it someone doesn't want to hear what you have to say?"  He had leaned back against a tree, an oak actually, at this point.  His arms were crossed over his chest, while he had one leg crossed over the other.  A light breeze blew through his hair, which blew gently with the wind.

Hacil continued explaining, mentioning she thought she had come close.  It was the storm, the one Snopy knew all too well, that threw her off.  "I'd say that storm was both a blessing and a curse really."  Yes it only seemed to cause her problems, so maybe saying it without explaining wasn't the greatest idea.  Still, while it allowed him and Nilani to be caught off guard, it seemed to give Elwyn quite a boost.  "You'd be surprised what someone can do in a torrential downpour like that."  He referred to both Elwyn and the bandits.  Snopy looked up as a particularly strong gust of wind blew.  One of the branches looked eerily like a flagpole in it's orientation, and it snapped right off the tree.  Strange.  He went back to focusing on Hacil who seemed suddenly a little down.  He kept quiet and just silently listened.  Only one person in her clan seemed to like her.  She was worried she'd get...whacked?  "You get used to it.  Though honestly, you're pleasant enough to talk to, that's more than enough for me."

Honestly Snopy's ability to fully trust people was almost non-existent, so no he didn't trust Hacil completely.  However, in spite of his lack of ability to trust she's been pleasant enough conversation so far.  He couldn't see why if he, who felt better off alone many a time, could find her good company that others wouldn't.  Of course, the no one liking her thing seemed to hit home to him.  All someone's friends betraying and bailing on them would do that.  Her next words though, caught him totally off guard.  She ended the statement by calling him a cute young man.  At that moment the foot he had planted on the ground (as the other was crossed it wasn't exactly supporting his body weight much) lost it's grip and he somehow managed to fall sideways onto the ground.  "I'm sorry, did you say...cute?"  He was at a loss for words.  That wasn't a word he had heard used on him ever.  His face returned to being red once more.  "Uhhh..."  Hacil did continue on to ask about his training, so he decided to quickly shuffle the conversation onward and move to the next topic as fast as possible.  "T-training, yes training.  Um, no I'm not a soldier...geez."  He looked away, since he couldn't believe how unraveled he got.  "I've...well I have my reasons.  I'm not exactly alone though, someone's helping me out.  And..."  Snopy began to look around like something was missing.  "My pet Felli was with me too, where the heck did she run off to.  Ahri!"  He called out, before turning back to Hacil and shrugging.  "I'm sure she'll be fine, but..."  Something just dawned on him, but he was going to keep his cool for the moment.  "What does the person you're searching for look like?  I've seen some people around."
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 pm

Oh boy could Hacil tell the stories of how Elwyn didn't believe her. But this wasn't the time for reminiscing on the past like that. Besides, boring this guy with her life story and complaining about her sisters' behavior was not a cool thing to do. "You have no idea." As Hacil finished the rest of her hair—making sure it flowed all the way down her back, she heard the tree branch snap, but did not pay too much attention to it. It was a little too high up and too windy for it to be a predator. Besides, she just had to outrun this guy, right?

Pleasant. That word rang in her ears. Only people from outside of the Ensandraen called her pleasant. No one else in the clan seemed to give her a chance anymore. Well, it's not like she cared about getting chances after everyone shunned her nearly a decade ago. After that incident, she practically cursed the village every day. It wasn't her place... and she learned it the hard way.

"That's why I like people from outside my clan... You guys actually seem to like me." Hacil found this man pleasant too. Well, as pleasant as a human could be. Although, Hacil did have an easier time dealing with how humans saw her than how her own clan did. She could punch a human for saying something offensive, but not one of her clanmates.

As they continued to converse, Hacil played a card she wanted to test the water with—the cute card. Normally, she'd say something like handsome if she were trying to flirt. But no, this was her teasing. She held back a laugh as he fell, and quickly fixed herself so she wouldn't fall as well. So things wouldn't escalate to her falling off, she pushed the subject to something else.

Hacil was glad he wasn't a soldier or a mercenary or anything... They could have connections to slavers and slavers were not something Hacil particularly cared for. She liked being free after all. He then began ranting off about a 'felli.' Weren't those those weird oversized cats? Hacil may like animals, but those things always weirded her out. Especially the blue ones. Hacil was about to offer help when he asked her a question first.

Hacil had a dilemma—she could tell him everything, or have him just connect the dots. She could hear Elwyn's lectures about either decision. If she told him everything, she'd be scolded for possibly giving away Elwyn's position. If she had him connect the dots, she'd be scolded about assuming his intelligence or some shit. She sighed as she came to a decision. She'd accept the lecture like she always does.

"A woman. She's a few inches taller than I am... blonde hair a little shorter than mine. Uhh..." Hacil was actually having a hard time describing her sister. She never had to before. Everyone who she talked to about Elwyn knew what she looked like. "Uh... blue eyes... Uhhh... she likes... the colors white and green? I think." Hacil actually looked like she was straining to think of other things...

"Oh." Like it was staring her in the face the whole time, Hacil remember the most important thing— "She's also an Elf, like me." Hacil felt a little stupid for not remembering that.
    Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:22 pm

Snopy chuckled a little as she responded, well that answered a bunch of questions, and raised about a dozen more.  Snopy raised an eyebrow though when she said that his people actually seemed to like her.  "Don't get your hopes up.  I've had to help a few elves because...well people tend to fear the unknown and the different.  To a lot of humans elves are the unknown and different, and when people get scared they have a bad habit of getting stupid."  He sighed as he spoke.  He didn't trust people equally.  Humans, elves, it shouldn't make a difference.  Of course her little teasing performance almost knocked her herself on her ass.  The conversation continued to move, with Snopy occasionally blinking a few times almost vacantly.  He wasn't so much vacant as he was worrying.  Supposedly a flagpole breaking in the wind was an omen.  But...it wasn't a flagpole, it was a branch.  Yet at the same time, it looked just like a flag pole.  It even had a single large leaf swaying like the flag itself.  Still he kept his focus up when she began describing the woman she was looking for.

Could she mean...  The description fit perfectly.  Elwyn was THAT description.  The hair, the eyes, the clothing was the same color as Hacil's description.  Oh, and she was also an elf, not that THAT was an important detail.  Snopy shook his head and blinked a few more times before...he froze.  He turned his head over and saw something.  It was a little off to the side of Hacil, but it was just barely showing itself through the foliage and whatnot that littered the ground.  "What's this..."  He got up off of the tree and walked over towards Hacil, then past her.  Kneeling on the ground, he began analyzing it.  He could barely see it, but...it wasn't natural.  By no means could this thing be natural, it was sorta metallic.  And the shape, of what he could see, seemed to...rounded.  This wasn't close enough to the lake to be perfectly worn like that, rocks and objects at this distance should still be fairly rough.  "Poachers?"

He began to brush away the leaves to reveal more of the object.  It was...Snopy jumped up in surprise, up and away to be exact.  "Wait, that's the thing that grabbed Nilani!"  Without thinking he shouted.  There was no doubt about it, even untriggered he recognized it.  It was an Arcane trap with an unknown trigger.  "Get away from it!"  Kept seemingly hidden through either foliage or other means, such as use in a powerful rainstorm.  "They're slavers!  It's a trap!"  Designed to catch a humanoid target, most easily if standing upright.  Wrapping around their body and neck and tightly immobilizing them.  "Just move!!!!"  The chain would lead down to the location of the trappers, slavers.  Using this they'd carry their quarry off to be sold as a sex slave.  Snopy jumped back to avoid it as well.  Hopefully Hacil had enough warning to dodge, because sure enough the chain shot up, and regardless of whether it met its intended target or not, the chain would lead none other than to a large group of them who seemed all too eager to do horrible things to pretty young women.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:18 pm

Hacil was a little curious as to why he walked past her, but she couldn't quite make out what he was saying. He seemed to be mumbling to himself about something he found over there. Maybe he found a cool looking bug or something. "Hey, what did you find over the—" And like that, he sprung away from that spot, and Hacil jumped up immediately as well. "Wait, that's the thing that grabbed Nilani!" Nilani?! What?!!?!?! Hold up, Nilani!? That Nilani? Her favorite-person-in-the-world Nilani?!?!!?!?

"Huh?!" Hacil was wide-eyed with rage and confusion—she had to question this man further. "Nilan—" But the man jumped further back, slightly pushing Hacil away as the trap sprung up. It looked like a hand made of metal. Hacil had the words Snopy was saying finally click like a puzzle that had sat for two months unfinished because a piece was hidden under the box.

With a snarl that would scatter even a sloth of bears—speaking of, why would anyone call a group of bears a 'sloth'—Hacil leaped forward towards the hand. And like a snake-wrangler, she grabbed the body right beneath the head as so it could not reach her. With a tug, the chain popped out of the ground, leading to a group of bushes. "Show your fucking selves, you piece of shit cowards!" Hacil's voice was not the elegant harp plucks Elwyn had, but a sharper trumpet-like blare.

Hacil gave them a single second to show themselves. They didn't. Too bad for them, as her hands sparked to be aflame. It did not set the chain afire, but it did act as a good conductor for heat. And slowly, Hacil saw the chain begin to faintly glow. A fly landed on it and was almost instantly grilled for a frog waiting in the pond. He would be eating well tonight.

As the heat finally reached the other end of the chain, Hacil heard a yelp and the chain went slack. "Son of a bitch..." A man, holding his hand in obvious pain, stepped out from the underbrush. Two more followed him, although they seemed relatively unharmed from this encounter. Their armor was ragged and scarred just like their bodies, and they seemed to have not bathed in this century.

"So you finally have the fucking balls to show yourselves." In Hacil's mind, these things—calling them humans would be an insult to her new compadre—had harmed Nilani. Nilani, the one person in the entire village and clan she grew up in who seemed to still give a damn about her. Nah, they were not going to have a happy day. "Lady, I—" "Fucking shove it!"

Hacil launched a plasma bolt at the ground right in front of the lead man. What was left was almost a piece of art—a whorl of a glass-like substance. The heat from it was so immense that the man stepped back to avoid his shoelace (yes, lace, his other boot had none) from catching fire. "Kill the Elven bitch, dammit." He panicked. The wrong thing to do in front of Hacil.

One of the men drew a crossbow, and the other drew a short sword. The leader attempted to draw a whip, but another bolt caught that on fire as well. "I'm going to make you sick fucks pay..." Hacil's teeth were practically made of steel at this point. Otherwise, they surely would have crushed one another from the immense pressure her jaws' clamping down caused. Right? Right.

As the one man who thought it was a good idea to go up to Hacil and try to attack her approached, Hacil lunged forward, her hand grabbing the man's bearded face. With an impish smile and a gleam in her eye, the man's face and surprisingly well-kept hair lit up in fire. As he began to cream and run for water, the man with the crossbow seemed to level it at Hacil, but another bolt of plasma made sure the crossbow—and that guy's entire right arm—would no longer be usable.

As it seemed it was down to a one-on-one, another man began to creep around. It seemed as though this man was smarter than the leader. He decided to hold back and wait for a time to strike. He had a crossbow (armed with a delayed sleeping poison bolt) leveled at Hacil—and had she not been so tunnel-visioned on getting the leader, she might have seen the man fire...
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:31 pm

Like Humans Do [Closed] ElwynNilani_zps76d89bc4

"Where do you think he's going?" Nilani sneakily peaked through the broken window of the abandoned cabin they had been using. The place was cleaner than it was when they first found it, thanks to the combined powers of Elwyn and Nilani, but there were still some things needing to be fixed. Elwyn turned toward her sister and shook her head, smiling softly as she walked up behind Nilani. Looking out, Elwyn raised an eyebrow as Snopy stepped into the forest and from their site. "I don't know. He's a man; he probably would like to bathe and relieve himself without us being within ten feet of him. He'll be back." Elwyn explained and noticed the slightly pouting look on Nilani's face. She chuckled a bit, understanding what her sister was thinking and kissed the top of Nilani's head.

"Elwyn... He's still not back..." Nilani said worried. It had been twenty  minutes since Snopy had left. Elwyn tilted her head to the side and looked to Nilani with a expression that read 'are you serious right now'. She looked out the window and saw that Snopy wasn't in view and sighed. "He'll be fine." Elwyn said and pat Nilani's head. "You're a tracker... Track him." Nilani practically demanded, catching Elwyn off guard. Elwyn looked down to Nilani with a surprised expression and then smiled. "Alright, let's go." Elwyn giggled a bit and stepped out of the hut. Nilani followed and the two went into the forest where Snopy had gone. Elwyn began tracking him through the small signs any traveler would leave: human scents, foot-prints, smashed greenery, and broken branches.

"He's rig-... Hacil?" Elwyn narrowed her eyes and got ready for fighting when she saw her sister through a group of thick trees. Nilani had caught onto this as well, but ran forward in excitement. Elwyn rolled her eyes at this and began walking forward. It was at this time that both she and Nilani noticed a man aiming a bolt at Hacil's back. Elwyn's eyes widened and she looked to her sister who had not noticed it. "HACIL!!" Elwyn let out a shocking shriek that showed an amount of worry that she rarely to never showed toward her sister. Nilani suddenly burst forward with a gust of wind following behind her. The younger of the three present sisters glided through the air at a high speed, bursting through the trees as the bolt was fired, and landed behind her Hacil to take it.

Nilani's body collapsed and began rolling along until stopping about twenty feet away. A moment later, Elwyn ran through the trees, placed a hand on Hacil's back and noticed the bolt wasn't there. Glancing to Hacil and then to Nilani, Elwyn ran over to the girl and rolled her over on her back. "Nilani. Nil-..." Elwyn stopped when she saw the bolt in the middle of Nilani's chest. "It hurts." Nilani said, holding her chest. Elwyn couldn't tell whether it hit her heart or not, but Nilani was breathing. Hearing a small click from the bush where the bolt had been fired, Elwyn shot her gaze in that direction. Her eyes widened, her pupils dilated, and a massive amount of water from the bush the man was hiding in shot up in multiple spikes and pierced him in many places, pinning him to a tree.

And then the man began to laugh...

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:08 am

Hacil had gotten fairly startled at the name he accidentally cried out. Maybe if there weren't slavers right there he'd be kicking himself for giving away names that easily. He did manage to get her out of the way of the trap though, which made him happy. Though they weren't out of the fire yet, Hacil baited the slavers out by burning them with the chain. As they came out, Snopy stood back. He was more of the analyzing type, and until his training bore fruit, that's all he'd be. He kept an eye on the fight, but Hacil seemed to have it. The things she did to them seemed unbelievably cruel. He'd be worried about her obvious rage, but he wasn't going to stop her from obliterating some slavers. He watched, impressed and horrified at the things she did.

However...something was wrong. This was going too well. Slavers didn't travel in such small groups. Sure, they didn't travel in giant packs, but only 3 being there did not add up. Why would there only be three? Small traveling parties often traveled in groups of two, so the the ease of capturing people such as those, they'd want at least enough that several men were on each captive. That was when it hit him, there's another. Snopy took up a light fighting pose, and began to do a detailed scan of the area. He observed every tree and every bush. Discrepancies in color, movement, noise, no detail would be overlooked. "Where are you." He said as he kept looking around. Then he had an idea. Hacil's most vulnerable spot, her back. All of her foes were on one side of her, so her back would be approximately... Snopy calculated the exact spot that was directly behind Hacil. Surely enough, there he was. In his hand was... "BEHIND YOU, HACIL!" It was too late. He took too long to figure out the man's location and warn her. The bolt was fired, and an elven body hit the dirt. "HA...cil?" Hacil didn't have a bolt in her back, and Elwyn had turned up, checking Hacil's back too. There was no bolt. Fuck, on the ground was...Nilani. "You've to to be kidding me, Nilani!" Snopy cried out. He ran over, then glared over at the man. "You son of a motherfucking bitch."

Wait...what. This...wasn't right. There is not a single human or elf who has ever heard or seen Snopy like this. He was calm about everything, but pure rage had finally broken through. He was sick and fucking tired of it. The ground beneath Snopy's feet suddenly...shook? A pink aura enveloped him...but he was powerless wasn't he? Even scarier was his eyes, the energy that encompassed his body gave his eyes an incredibly frightening look to them. There was nothing Snopy could particularly do with this power, as a scholar can't just tap into their powers blindly as a Sorcerer can, some knowledge of drawing it out needs to occur. Even as the man was pinned to a tree by Elwyn, Snopy began to walk over. He looked to the ground, the man's crossbow was perfectly intact. It was a rather nice one actually. Snopy picked it up, the fucker somehow had already loaded another shot into it just before he was pinned to the wall. All the man was doing was...laughing. Snopy aimed the crossbow right for the man's head. He could probably peg it right into his brain if he aimed through the eye socket.

Snopy began to look at the tips of the bolts on the man's hips, they were dark. The kind of dark that shows there is a fluid on it. "What're you..." Snopy cut the man off. "Shut up!" Snopy backhanded the man right across the face. "If you know what's good for you you'll answer my questions, and only my questions." Snopy was holding the crossbow with surprising steadiness. "What did you put on that bolt?" Snopy asked, demanding an answer. The man sneered, about to talk back, but was quickly slapped again by Snopy. "Answer the question, unless..." Snopy observed the bolt that was loaded, yep, something was also at the tip of this bolt as well. "You'd like me to test this on you. Shoot you in the arm, see what happens." Snopy smiled when the man's demeanor shifted. The man seemed to be trying to hide it, but he obviously didn't like the prospect. Whatever was on the bolt was something this man was afraid of. "You're fidgeting at the thought. You seemed to fearless a moment ago, I suppose if you won't tell me I should just fire into your arm and see what..." Snopy began aiming for the arm and the man began to freak out, Snopy had figured something out.

"Okay okay! Viridescent Forest Snake venom! These bolts are all laced with Viradescent Forest Snake venom!" He shouted out, and Snopy realized just how serious this was. Researching poisonous creatures that one might find during travel work, one would be hard pressed to find a book in Arcadia that didn't mention the Viridescent Forest Snake. It'd venom was fatal, and the cure was found only in Arcadia. Snopy pressed the crossbow right up to the man's face, the bolt pointed right in his eye, and blew the fucker's brains out. He had a little trouble handling the recoil, but he held it with all his might to make sure the bold went into the man's brain. He was dead now. The arcanic energy that had been surrounding Snopy dissipated. "Of all poisons, it has to be that one." Snopy casually slung the crossbow over his shoulder as he turned to Nilani. "Stop the bleeding, so long as she doesn't bleed out she'll be fine for at least 7 days...but..." Snopy shook his head, once the combat was over he'd explain what they had to do if Nilani wanted to keep living.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:39 am

That voice. The one voice she expected to hear later, but not now. Not now. Why now? Wait... Hacil could tell something was wrong with the tone. Why was her older sister, the one who seemed to just hold animosity towards her showing concern? What was going on? What was causing this mindset shift—was it danger? Yes. This was combat. It had to be danger. Hacil spun around to hear Snopy's warning of the same thing—

And also to see her favorite person in the world take a bolt meant for her. No, no, no, no, no. That's not how this was supposed to be. Nilani was the good one. Nilani cared for her. Why, why, why, why?!!?!?! What the hell has Nilani done?! Why did someone... why did anyone have to try to harm her of all people?! Why did she take a bolt meant for Hacil, the one who was reviled by her own people?! Dammit, Hacil would have taken a bolt for Nilani any day, but she did not want the reverse to happen.

Hacil stared in shock as her favorite person in the world collapsed. Elwyn was right there, but Hacil was of no use. She just stared—her eyes far too wide to be recognized as they once were. There was no more pupil, it was all red. She just... she just wanted... And that's when Snopy's energy caused Hacil's hair to stand on edge. Whatever he was doing... whatever that was... the raw emotion fueling it snapped Hacil out of her trance.

As Snopy began to... 'handle' that man, Hacil's attention turned elsewhere. "Elwyn... please... cover Nilani's eyes." That was all she could muster as she turned around. It would be quite obvious to her sister that Hacil had tears streaming down her face. But that might have been drowned out by something else happening on her body. As she took a step closer to the remaining three, her body crackled like a raging forest fire.

Sparks and embers alike came from her skin, and her hair's ends singed themselves black with pure rage. And if anyone were to look into those eyes of hers—there was a color so magnificently terrifying and beautiful that it had yet to be named. But to those staring at her, it did have a name. Death.

The once-bearded man thought about turning towards Hacil, but a full-powered plasma bolt made sure he would not be turning towards anyone in the future. After all, he was only a pair of legs now. The man with one-and-a-half arm tried to run, but he too recieved the same punishment. He screamed before being engulfed by flames. And then came the final man—the boss.

Hacil made her way over to him slowly, his cries of "Help!" and "Demon!" and "Gods, save me!" were not heard. He was backed into a tree when Hacil finally made it to him. He fell down, Hacil towering over him. She slammed a hand above his head, the bark smoking like a freshly-lit cigarette as she did so.

He began to cower and beg. But she would have none of that. Upon his second offer, the elf knelt down to meet him eye-to-eye. Hacil's face warped into something no mortal creature should be able to do, but it could best be described as a smile of sorts. And without skipping a beat, her hand plunged into the man's stomach. The heat from her hand helped as she dug through his body, reaching his spine rather quickly. And then she heated it up until his legs stopped twitching. The rest of him still moved, but he could no longer walk. He was disarmed, bleeding out, and immobile. He would die slowly.

And then, like the weight of a mountain had been lifted off of her, Hacil darted back towards Nilani. When she saw her sister again, she held back the rage, but tears still dripped from her eyes. "Nilani... I'm sorry... I... I'm just... sorry...." Hacil could not muster up anything to say to Elwyn or Snopy just yet, but after a few more seconds of looking to her younger sister... She realized that just sitting here wasn't going to do anything.

"Is... is she going to be okay, Elwyn? Please... tell me she is... You can fix her, right? You can, right?" Hacil was begging Elwyn. No one would have imagined to see this. Hacil, the free-spirited woman who was the bane of everyone in the village, begging towards her older sister. Hacil's entire body was shaking, and she could no longer stand or even crouch. Her knees fell to the ground, her body barely able to support itself. "She can't die... not because of me..." Hacil's tears began to flow harder and harder.
    Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:42 am

"I-It hurts. Elwyn, it hurts. It hurts." Nilani kept repeating this over and over again. She was writhing around, looking at the bolt. Each time she tried to take it out, Elwyn pushed her hand away. If it hit anything vital, she could bleed out before they were able to get help. Neither of them were doctors. Elwyn was in shock, clenching her jaw and rocking back in forth in a panic as she held tightly onto Nilani. For the moment, everyone was pissed, excluding the extremely frightened Nilani. Both Hacil and Snopy went off to take care of the men. Hacil told Elwyn to cover Nilani's eyes. Elwyn just looked to Nilani like 'do what she says', so Nilani covered he ears while Elwyn covered her eyes. The men's screams and Snopy's anger were two things that Nilani couldn't deal with right now.

"Elwyn, am I gonna be okay?" Nilani asked through broken speach and short sobs. Elwyn looked from the current fighting back to Nilani. She was able to say that the wound wasn't that bad, but then she heard something that made her heart skip a beat. "Viridescent Forest Snake venom!" Everything in that moment stopped for Elwyn. She turned her head toward the man as he repeated it a second time. "El-Elwyn?" Nilani looked up to her. Seeing such a look on her sister's face was really worrying her; it was obviously worse than they originally thought. The men were dead and Hacil came over to Elwyn and acted in a manner that confused her. Elwyn looked toward Hacil in shock, but said nothing. She kept opening her mouth to say something, but the words just weren't coming out.

"Stop the bleeding, so long as she doesn't bleed out she'll be fine for at least 7 days...but..." Elwyn looked knowingly toward him, nodding as if she was confirming both of their fears. "This is gonna hurt." Elwyn said in a whisper and Nilani braced herself. Within a moment, the bolt was pulled straight out. Nilani clenched her jaw tightly and writhed around again. Elwyn placed her hand over the wound and iced it over. The pain caused Nilani to pass out. "She can't die... not because of me..." Elwyn looked toward the trunk of a tree and seemed to fully focus on it. Any of her sisters would realize that this was her going 'battle' mode. She was thinking strategically, trying to find a way to fix this. If Nilani was poisoned with that, Snopy was right. They had seven days to fix it.

"It's not your fault." Elwyn spoke up to Hacil, pulling Nilani's unconscious body closer to her. Elwyn's tone was a little raspy, as if she had been holding back her own anger, tears, or something like that; No one would be able to tell which one it was. "She was protecting her big sister." Elwyn explained, "That power she just... showed to speed up her body; I had never seen her use it before. It was instinctual. There was nothing either of us could do to stop her from protecting you." Elwyn pulled Nilani up into her arms and carried the petite girl bridal style. Elwyn looked toward Hacil and then to Snopy. "That poison... Seven days... Seven days, seven days..." Elwyn's eyes kept shooting about in different directions and she handed Nilani over to Snopy, "Hold her for a moment, please."

"Aria..." Elwyn pulled a map out of a pouch she had hanging from her shoulder, "Haven... Haven and Hillfort... Hillfort, right?" Elwyn opened the map and showed it to both Hacil and Snopy. She pointed out where they had met Snopy, which was closer to Aria and the direction they had traveled: East. She ran her finger along the map, seemingly calculating something up. "Closer... 26... 14... 5... Hillfort; We have to get to Hillfort as soon as possible. It's the closest... And the best chance we have... I know for a fact Aria carries the antidote, but... It's impossible to get through those mountains in the time we need... If there's nothing in Hillfort... Nilani's gonna die." When she said that, Elwyn looked as if every bit of life she had left was being drained from her very body.

"We gotta get there... And I'll kill anyone who gets in our way..."

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Snopy simply looked back on the scene.  There was carnage, every slaver was dead.  As the rage and adrenaline died down, Snopy looked back on the man he had killed.  No, it wasn't regret he was feeling.  These were the lowest of the low.  Cruelty, nothing justified such cruelty.  The cruelty towards their fellow man, the cruelty to elves.  The cruelty to anyone.  Now he was just mad about the fact that they live in a world where such cruelty and carnage was common.  "I'll never understand how someone can just go up and treat others with such cruelty."  Snopy shook his head.  Snopy kept the crossbow slung over his shoulder, he knew they had a bit of a journey ahead of them.  He decided a crossbow wouldn't be a bad thing to have, so he'd have to makeshift a way to carry it more easily.  On the bright side his blade already had a way for him to carry it at his hip.  Actually he remembers seeing something lying around the hut they were in that could probably strap the crossbow to his back.  He began to walk towards Elwyn as she pulled the bolt out and iced over the wound.  Well, that should definitely halt the bleeding until the wound can close.  He'd say he hopes the wound won't get infected,  but technically the fact the snake venom getting through the wound was the infection.

Snopy then looked towards Hacil.  Despite what she did to the men, she was completely losing it.  She couldn't bare to be the cause of Nilani's death it seemed.  Well it was obvious they were all sisters, so he couldn't blame her.  Snopy could tell Elwyn wasn't holding quite as together as she usually did.  She was still able to speak semi-calmly, but this was obviously affecting her.  Apparently Nilani had never shown that kind of power before.  Elwyn kept repeating it, seven days.  "I wish we could say we had longer but...she's small.  She might be able to last an extra day or two, but we have to move.  There's no reason to take the chance, 7 days we need the antidote."  Elwyn asked Snopy to hold Nilani for a moment, and he placed the crossbow on the ground and took Nilani.  He looked down to her.  She was small...but, something told him she'd be a bit of a fighter.  They'd be rushing to find the antidote before the 7 days were up, but he was confident she should be able to hang on to that thread of life for an extra day at least.  Snopy watched as Elwyn began to point out Hillfort.  Well wasn't that convenient.  Hillfort was a military base, while they'd have to be on their best behavior since 90% of it's population was fighters, and a large portion of the rest were enablers (blacksmiths and the like), but a Military base should have a cure for just about any poison that could be used on them.  And Elwyn seemed extra determined, but some of her words.

Elwyn explained how if nothing was at Hillfort Nilani was dead.  "What kind of attitude is that?"  Snopy would have folded his arms, but the small elf was still being held gently in his arms.  "Hillfort's a military base.  The antidote will be there, we just have to make sure we don't show them hostility or they will kill us.  Don't give me this "if it's not there" crap.  There is no can't.  It's not "What if I can't protect her."  It's 'I'll protect her no matter what.'  After all, you're sisters."  Snopy spoke, figuring if that if he was the one to carry Nilani, he'd have to leave the crossbow behind.  He wasn't complaining, Nilani's life was infinitely more important.  Still, it'd have been nice.  Snopy walked over to Elwyn and looked at her with a smile.  Elwyn didn't normally get to be the target of Snopy's rare smiles, but he knew the pain of losing a sister all too well.  She needed some comfort, and even if it didn't help it didn't hurt to try.  "It'll be all right...no one is going to lose their family...never again."  Snopy stated.  He wouldn't explain what he meant, but it was obvious he was dead set on the rescue excursion on being a success.  He turned to look at both of them.  "Now say it.  Say "She isn't going to die, we'll make sure of it."  Snopy wasn't going to drop it until they said it.  If they refused he'd just keep pressing them.  "Come on, say it."  He'd drop it after a few minutes though, he didn't have time to deal with their stubbornness.  Nilani's life WAS on the line.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:48 pm

Hacil was not Hacil right now. No, she was not what the Ensandraen clan knew as Hacil. This is Hacil. The real one. She may have a hard exterior, a free spirit capable of resisting even the gods' commands, and a mouth sharper than a saw... but when she cared about someone, she could not bear to seem them in pain. This was furthered if they were hurt because of her. As someone who was the scapegoat for the Ensandraen's problems... she was used to being the one who took the blame for everything.

And Nilani taking a crossbow bolt meant for her... Hacil was wanting to bald herself right now. Hacil knew not too much about this snake's venom. Hacil did not have much to worry about in terms of animals generally. She could speak to them, so why worry about their poisons? Well, this gave Hacil a reason to. She could not let this happen again.

Hacil had no idea what was going through Elwyn's mind as she was begged to save Nilani. Hacil had no idea what to do, but the woman who was leading the clan should know something, right? Right? ...Right? Hacil stared at her sister as nothing came out of her mouth in response. Slowly, Hacil's own face twisted into something of shock. No, no, no. Elwyn must know something... She has to, right?

That's when Hacil noticed Elwyn go into her thinking mode. She has a way... Right? That is what that means, right? All of Hacil's thoughts were on saving Nilani. She had even forgotten why she was searching for her sisters in the first place. To her, this was her fault. Even Elwyn trying to explain how it wasn't didn't help. Hacil could not stand yet. Her head slumped and stared at the dirt and small pebbles beneath her. "Of course it's my fault..."

"I could have paid better attention to the surroundings... I could have looked around... I was... just so... focused on that guy... He had this chain thing... that Snopy said had grabbed Nilani... I was just so blinded by rage... I should have kept my cool." Sobs and sniffles broke in between her sentences, a sign that she was unable to keep it together even still.

As talks about what to do echoed behind her, Hacil was just hearing her own voice—and the voice of the elders—yelling at her for this. She bit her lip to keep herself from screaming. Blood soon joined her tears in soaking the ground beneath her. "Now say it. Say 'She isn't going to die, we'll make sure of it.'" Hacil grit her teeth. The same fiery aura from before returned for a brief moment—her fist slamming into the ground like a blackmith's hammer forging his greatest weapon.

With the sound of metal against metal, Hacil let out a yell. Not a scream of pain, but of anger. It echoed through the forests—and it even spoke to the animals. It gave them good warning to stay the fuck out of her way. Hacil's legs wobbled up as the elf gathered herself back to her feet. "There is no way I will let her die..." Tears were still coming out her eyes, but not nearly with the same force.

"Elwyn, can I ask a favor..." Hacil looked over to her sister. "Can we put aside our past differences... just... until we save her. If you want to go back to to feeling how you did before after she's saved, I don't care... I just want to save her... and I think... us acting like sisters... might help..." Hacil had a hard time forcing those words out. She hadn't hated Elwyn. No, not at all. But they both didn't like things about the other. The undertone of the message she was giving was simple: she was telling Elwyn 'I'll do what you tell me to.'

Hacil would sell her soul to save Nilani—listening to her older sister's lectures was a lot less painful. And then Hacil turned to Snopy. "I... am trusting her with you. I know Elwyn cares about her too, but... she's very important to me. So thank you... for helping with this."

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:12 pm

"Of course it's my fault... I could have paid better attention to the surroundings... I could have looked around... I was... just so... focused on that guy... He had this chain thing... that Snopy said had grabbed Nilani... I was just so blinded by rage... I should have kept my cool." With every "I" that came out of Hacil's mouth, Elwyn had to fight the urge to smack her sister across the face. Elwyn continued thinking, trying to remember the cities that would have the antidote they needed, but Hacil's behavior was very much on the selfish side. "Shut up." Elwyn said angrily, "Every single time something happens, it's always about you. Nilani is the one who is hurt. She is the one who needs our help. I don't give a flying fuck about what you should have done; it's in the fucking past."

"Do you ever even listen to yourself? It's 'my' fault. 'I' could have done this. 'I' could have done that. 'I' was just so angry. Even when Nilani is the one who needs our concentration, you always make it where the focus is on you, what you want, and what you could or should have done. Stop that shit or I swea-..." Elwyn shut herself up, not wanting to let that shit continue. She went back to her thinking until she remembered the map and a few other things. Bringing it out, she showed everyone where they needed to go and spoke a few other things that was on her mind. When Snopy came back in question of her attitude, she shot him an intense glare. And then when he went on to smile, she had to resist smacking him as well. What the hell was wrong with these two? Seriously?

There was no way in hell Elwyn was going to listen to him. 'She's not going to die'. Why the hell would Elwyn promise something she might not be able to come through on? It was a fact, not a probability. If there was nothing at Hillfort and they wasted those five days getting to that place instead of rushing their asses to Aria where they knew it was, Nilani was going to die. There was no question about this, and only a fool would think otherwise. When Snopy told her to say that too, she just stared at him with a blank expression. Hacil was the one to speak up; she was the one that decided it was okay to work off of hope. Elwyn was not going to be the one to 'hope' on Nilani's behalf. She was going to work and fight to make sure that her sister would be safe.

Elwyn stepped up to Snopy and pulled Nilani from his arms. She put her younger sister on her back and formed a belt of ice that kept Nilani wrapped around her as if she was just giving her a piggy-back-ride. Glancing to Snopy and then to Hacil, she sighed. How the hell were they going to keep up? "You're about to get some intense training..." Elwyn said, looking at Snopy, "Keep up." Elwyn looked in the direction Hillfort was. Taking a deep breath, she nodded to Hacil, "We're running." Elwyn kicked off her shoes and tossed them into her bag. Hacil would know that Elwyn was practically about to blast off. She was not going to play with the life of her sister on the line. It was time to go. Placing her hands on Snopy and Hacil's shoulders, she began giving their bodies a little boost.

"Go." Elwyn said and began her run. The boost she gave them was the same as her own. Their bodies would move much more fluidly, quickly, and their reaction times were increased. Without really any effort, they would all be about to run much faster than their normal and for much longer. Darting through out the forest like something you'd see out of a comic, Elwyn made sure to keep the lead. "Hacil, destroy anything that dares to get in our way. I don't care what it is, if it's hostile or blocking us, kill it." Elwyn told her, her voice slightly raised to make sure she was heard, "I will not have anything stop us from getting to Hillfort." With that, the journey to save Nilani began. And hours later, after rushing through the forests toward Hillfort, the group had made very good time.

For the past hour, Elwyn had been completely silent. She was extremely focused. The sun had gone down hours ago and it was reaching midnight. The group had about twenty more miles before the edge of this forest would be seen. Elwyn would have kept going, but as they came to a small clearing, her legs gave way and she fully collapsed. Her body fell to the ground like a sack of potatoes, the ice that was holding Nilani melting away. Within a moment, Nilani's body would roll off of Elwyn's and the oldest sister would lay their unconscious, Arcana having been drained to less than one percent of what it was. The boosts on Hacil and Snopy would end and finally Nilani would wake up. "What's going on?" Nilani said weakly, coughing a bit and wiping some 'water' from her face.

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:18 pm

Somehow Hacil's genuine regret was flipped back on her in a rather harsh manner. Elwyn did have a point, but it seemed painfully unnecessary. Even more so Elwyn seemed to get just as wrapped up in the less important details as Hacil, aka details that weren't Nilani. Waiting for Elwyn to finish, Snopy decided add at the end. "Look, we all know mistakes were made. There isn't a damned one of us who can say they didn't make some kind of mistake, but this conversation is the least of our concerns. Nilani is terminally poisoned and we have to fucking move." If they were observant enough they'd be able to tell the fact that they chose to argue over work together on helping Nilani ticked him off a bit. They continued the conversation, but when Snopy began to stress that they'd make sure she didn't die, Elwyn was having none of it, and looked at Snopy like he was an idiot. Hacil at least worked with it. Elwyn gave no effort. He shrugged. "Well it was worth a shot." Snopy looked back to both of them as Elwyn took Nilani from him. "I'm worried sick, but we need to remember being miserable does not help Nilani." Snopy went over and grabbed the crossbow really quick, and also began taking things from the man who had (since the ice had now melted) fallen from the tree on the ground. Snopy quickly used his intelligence as best he could to quickly mount the crossbow on his back and the quiver at his hip. "Lets just get moving."

Elwyn came up to him and told him about how he was about to get some intense training. He did wonder what this elf meant, and if she realized the consequences of trying too hard, but he brushed it off. She was way stronger than him, she could probably handle it. In spite of some differences in opinion, he did hold her in high respect, and when it came to her power, he secretly idolized her a bit. Snopy nodded. "Right." Even if they didn't see eye to eye all the time, he showed her through body language and a slight nod that he was showing his respect to her. He wasn't the one with a sister currently at risk for dying, and his "losing" of his sister was so far in the past he couldn't possibly have still been in as much pain as those two were. After a strange touch on the shoulder's, Snopy suddenly felt...lighter. "What did you..." He didn't have time to finish as Elwyn began to run, and Snopy soon found he could keep up fairly well. How he was keeping up was beyond him, and even stranger was whatever she did made him able to dodge things better. Snopy decided that since Hacil was blasting away threats from the front, he'd keep his senses open for the rear. He doubted much could possibly follow them, or would even want to try, but with Nilani's life on the line, they can't afford to not have their backs secure. Snopy had stealthily loaded another bolt into the crossbow. If anything did try to come at them that Hacil didn't get, he'd make sure he blasted in the face. He didn't like that the bolts were still poisoned, but when they stopped for rest he'd try and wash it off.

This lasted for hours, and while Snopy was definitely feeling it, Elwyn's power kept him relatively stable. They had passed the hut on the way and Snopy managed to snatch his blade and, while running, attach it to his hip. Whatever this power was on him, it was helping a lot. Elwyn however...something was off. It just didn't feel right. He brushed it off again, he figured the worry over his sister was getting to her. Maybe in another hour or so he'd ask to take a short break, since it couldn't possibly be healthy for anyone to run this long. Then...Elwyn collapsed. "Aw shit, Elwyn!" Snopy turned his feet to skid to a halt, like one would do on skis. Unfortunately Elwyn's boost wore off in that moment and his balance and reactions returned to normal, and he ended up falling into the dirt. He hopped back up rather quickly and ran over to the two elves, now on the ground. Nilani woke up and wondered what had happened. "Your sister just collapsed." Snopy shook his head. "Damn it, if we go and get ourselves KO'd...then no one can..." Snopy shook his head again. "No, she only did it because she was worried about you. She's still breathing, I think she just needs some rest and maybe food when we get the chance."

Snopy took the quiver of bolts off his hip, and set his crossbow to the side as well and looked up to Hacil. "Lets set up a makeshift camp for now, we should regain our strength. It'll be no good if we push ourselves til we actually break." Snopy took Nilani into his arms and pulled out his canteen. He was sure they had passed a small pool of water at some point, so he could refill it. "Drink." He told Nilani, he'd insist for a bit if she refused, but he wouldn't force it down her throat. He was just concerned. The ground...rocks, figures. He wanted a good place to set the two down in a lying position so they might rest better, but there were rocks. He began meticulously trying to clear the ground next to him so that he could lay Nilani down for a moment, so he could check Elwyn again. "How are you feeling Nilani?" He asked, worried and afraid of what the answer might be. Snopy looked up to Hacil. "Watch over Nilani please." Snopy hadn't yet made an area where she could lay, but he picked her up, princess style, and went to hand her to Hacil. "I need to check on Elwyn and make sure she's really okay." Snopy would then go over to Elwyn and lie her on her back, her head on his lap. He'd but on hand to his forehead while another was to hers. "She's warm, though it could just be how much running she just did." Even if Nilani had drunk from the canteen, it carried plenty. Snopy sighed while continuing to monitor her. He'd sigh sadly, speaking to her, whether or not she regained consciousness. "Please be okay."
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:22 pm

Hacil actually listened to Elwyn for once. Well, that's not entirely true. She does listen to Elwyn. However, Elwyn's advice was never something Hacil could do in general. But no, this time... Elwyn was right. One-hundred-percent correct. But truthfully, only one thing caught Hacil's ears. "I don't give a flying fuck about what you should have done; it's in the fucking past." That was the dagger she needed. That was the last puzzle piece she was missing.

It was the firs time which she could recall telling her 'I don't care what you did or could have done.' Elders criticized her every action for being unlike Elwyn's. Elwyn would lecture her about her actions. But not once could she recall (at least for now, as her mind was as cloudy as the sky was last night) someone telling her to move on. To continue for a better path. Maybe that's what Elwyn was trying to tell her all along... but right now wasn't the time to dwell on anything.

Hacil silently nodded in agreement, as she could not muster even a simple 'You're right.' She was thinking too hard, and it took Snopy getting up-in-everyone's-face before Hacil could snap out of this trance. Elwyn wasn't going to bet on this hope, but Hacil would bet on anything. If Hillfort didn't have it, Hacil would find a way to get her sister the antidote—even if it cost her her life. Of course, that would not be the smartest idea, but Hacil wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box. She just had a different use.

Hacil began to gather what little things she had—her Jatahl and a small bag of clothing and survival supplies—as Elwyn prepared for the run. As she finished, Elwyn looked at her—the plan was set. There was no time for Hacil to find an animal capable of carrying them and coax it into joining their party. She nodded, accepting the physical burden to come. As the feeling of becoming more... fluid entered her body, she could feel the energies mixing odd in her body.

Fire and water don't quite mix well, after all.

Hacil darted out to be practically in-line with her older sister, as per Elwyn's request. "Don't worry about anything getting in our way—be it man or mountain." The feeling of general unease through her body would cause the latter to be difficult unfortunately, but Hacil would manage.

Hours went by. It was long and arduous... but it wasn't too bad. Hacil had no trouble keeping up with Elwyn. This was not because she was stronger than her sister. No, Hacil had kept her powers up only slightly. Where Elwyn's boost helped with movement, Hacil's—although it was only personal—helped with her own muscles. She was able to keep her muscles nice and warm, so the aching was lessened.

By the time midnight had come, Hacil's fingertips were scorched black. It would be easily healed, but they did sting. As Elwyn collapsed, so did Hacil. She did not lose consciousness like her sister, but she did crawl slight away and heaved what little food she had eaten over the past two days. Wiping her mouth, Hacil did turn back to the group, out of breath and extremely tired.

Nilani was awake, as was Snopy... but Elwyn was unconscious. Hacil could tell by the strain on her older sister's face that she had pushed herself nearly to death. The guilt still welled up inside of her. Snopy's request of making a camp did stop the voices of regret from echoing about. Hacil nodded and first made a suitable pile of of underbrush and kindling. It would be enough for a fire, and with practically the last bit of Anima she had sparked a small blaze.

She had begun clearing out grass and sticks to make a suitable sleeping area when Snopy asked for Hacil to watch over Nilani. Hacil wanted to say no, but she couldn't. She nodded, and finished padding a leaf-made bed for her younger sister to lie on. As Nilani was laid on it, Hacil dug around in her pouch to throw a small sack filled with what felt like soft marbles towards Snopy.

"Here... This should help her." Inside was basically an Elven trail mix. It wasn't much, just some fruits to help stimulate Anima regeneration. "Give her a couple... It should work to keep her stable." Hacil then turned to Nilani and gave a smile only Nilani had seen in the past. "You're really the toughest one of all of us, you know? We'll get you all fixed up... and then we can go find Nahbe—"

Click. Shit, that is why she was looking to find these two. She had a lead on Nahbe. "Do you want anything? I might have something that could ease your pain... although I would have to check with Elwyn on..." Hacil didn't let it slip that Nilani was poisoned with that. Nilani may have known, but Hacil didn't want to bring it up. "Once she is awake, I'll see if anything I have would be too much..."

Hacil brushed a little bit of Nilani's hair away from her face. "I am glad to see you though..." Hacil was doing her best to keep from crying.

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:33 am

"They both did..." Nilani replied to Snopy's comment on Elwyn, but motioned toward the now crawling Hacil. She began coughing, putting her hand over her mouth to cover it. "I think I might have caught something... I don't feel too well." Nilani said as she placed a hand on her forehead, "I have a fever..." Nilani just kept coughing and a few beads of sweat began forming on her forehead. Snopy picked her up and she grabbed onto his shirt with one hand, coughing into the other. A moment later, she was set down again, but next to Hacil. Nilani looked weakly up to Hacil and smiled as big as she could.

"Heya, sis." Nilani said weakly as the trail mix was tossed to Snopy. It was then that Hacil said something that only made Nilani giggle, "You know that's not true... You're a lot tougher than me. And I'll be fine, don't worry! A wound like this isn't going to kill me, you know?"

"No, no... It's okay. I think I just need to rest..." Nilani said and reached out to Hacil's shirt, lightly grabbing on it. It's something Nilani did to comfort the both of them in times like this. "I'm glad to see you too..." A few moments later, Nilani closed her eyes and slowly drifted to sleep. And for a brief moment, Elwyn began to speak, but she didn't open her eyes. She was awake, just unable to move. "I'll be fine... Nilani will be fine... Hacil... Snopy... Fantastic job. Proud.... of..." Elwyn's voice slowly faded out until her head fell to the side and the woman fell right back to sleep.

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:01 pm

It was official, Snopy seemed to be the only one who hadn't pushed himself to the brink. He hadn't expected it, but Hacil simultaneously collapsed with Elwyn. The difference was Hacil still had enough energy in her body to move. She heaved up a little bit of what she had eaten, that is never good. How was it that Snopy was still able to retain consciousness? Elwyn had been using her magic in excess, and while Snopy wasn't an expert on elves, he was fairly certain they didn't just have an unlimited supply of magic. She might have drained herself, but what about Hacil? Hacil had to have more endurance than him, but she had also been slinging magic at anything that might slow them down. That's when it hit him. "You two were using magic...and I'm the only one who can't, no wonder I'm not completely unconscious." He wasn't an expert on magic, he didn't realize that humans using magic typically didn't cause fatigue the same way it did to elves. A human can drain their magic to 0 and feel fine, an elf does it they die. Nilani began to talk about how she didn't feel well and had a fever. Not surprising unfortunately, but Snopy wished the symptoms had held off for a little longer. If they held off for a little while it might mean Nilani had more time to survive, which meant more time to grab an antidote. As Nilani grabbed onto his shirt, he sighed but managed a smile. "It'll be alright."

That was when Snopy moved over to Elwyn. Hacil quickly went about making sure Nilani was comfortable while Snopy rested Elwyn's head on his lap. As Hacil tossed him the food, Snopy was caught off guard and fumbled it a bit. He was a bit tired himself, so now that Elwyn wasn't boosting him his reflexes were on the slow side. Snopy was about to feed Elwyn when she began to speak. Snopy wanted to tell her not to speak, but something caught his ear. "Nilani will be fine." He stopped and let her continue for just a little bit, before stopping her, though she may have been about to stop on her own anyway. "Save your energy." He said as he took out some of the food. Before she fell right back to sleep he fed her a bit of the mix. Once she fell asleep, he stopped. He was scared she'd choke if he tried. As long as she didn't fight him or spit it up, she had what should have been enough to help her regain some of her energy as she slept. As he held her on his lap, he began to hum something his mother used to sing to him. This was an awkward situation, he didn't know what else to do. He just remembered this song now for some reason. He was not a singer and didn't have a singing voice, but he had heard this so many times when he was young he could hum it perfectly. It was a gentle soothing tune, by most people's standards anyway.

He sat there humming for a little while, not sure what else to do now. "You really gave it your all...didn't you." He'd say to the sleeping Elwyn after some time had passed, before looking back at Hacil. "You too." That's when Snopy realized he was gently stroking Elwyn's head as she slept, he must have been doing this for awhile now. "How long have I..." He said as he dropped his hand, it's no wonder his already fatigued body was feeling a little more tired. He must have been doing that for at least 5 minutes, and repetitive motion can wear on an already tired body. Snopy left Elwyn there, she seemed to be resting comfortably and didn't want to disturb her. He turned to Hacil. "You heard what Elwyn said right? Nilani will be fine. She refused to say it earlier...which somehow makes it all the more reassuring that she said it now." He smiled a bit, but it quickly dropped back down. He seemed focused on something. "Proud of? I've done nothing anyone should be proud of." Snopy didn't know about Elwyn and Hacil's history, so he didn't question her being proud of her sister in some way. But him? He literally just followed them. Hacil might not have even been NEAR the slavers if he hadn't held her up with conversation. He sighed. The silence continued on for a little while before he had to ask. "So, food and water. What are we going to do about that? We want to regain our strength we need proper nourishment." Snopy was beginning to feel drowsy, he wasn't sure how much longer he himself could remain awake. He'd likely be falling asleep soon too.
    Tsubine
    Tsubine
    The Not-as-Fun Admin

Post by Tsubine Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Nilani was a lot tougher than she gave herself credit for. She was able to deal with Elwyn and Hacil's bullshit without breaking. That was a monumental task in and of itself. It took someone really special to do anything of the sort. But arguing with Nilani was not the right thing to do at this point, so Hacil just widened her smile in return. Maybe she was tough. Hacil was strong, but was she tough? There was a difference the elf would have to work out.

Hacil felt what little fabric she had tighten as Nilani grabbed onto her clothing. Hacil's interpretation was it was an 'I'm here for you' to herself and a 'You're here for me' to Nilani. Which was 100% true. Hacil had forgotten her plans of abandoning the village right now. Nilani mattered too much to her. As Nilani's eyes fluttered shut, Hacil's voice changed. An aria which soothed nature itself hummed from her throat.

Hacil's voice suited the operatic sonata as she calmed her sisters to sleep. It even threw Snopy into a small trance—an unitended side-effect. As soon as Nilani was dead asleep (no pun intended), Hacil shifted away from her sister and returned to Snopy's side. "Ah... y-yeah, she will." She had not heard what Elwyn had said. She was too focused on her younger sister.

As Snopy remarked he had done nothing to be proud of, Hacil clenched a fist and was about to sock him across the jaw. But she didn't have the strength to right now. "Bullshit. You have done something no other human seemed to even think about. If even half of your race seemed to care about Elves as much as you do, the world would be a far more accepting place. So be proud that your mind told you to do the right damn thing. Alright? Alright."

"Water... I would say Elwyn could handle that, but her stamina will be exhausted each and every day at this rate. Tomorrow we can look for somewhere around here that has some water... as for food..." Hacil thought for a moment. "Keep watch, I'll be back in a few minutes." And Hacil darted off, grabbing the small knife from her adventuring pouch.

Not five minutes later did Hacil return. But she was not alone. On her back was a well-fed deer—its neck clean slit open. "Food." She found a place away from Snopy's line of sight and began to arduous process of skinning the animal. It took about an hour, but eventually, she was done with everything. She used her fire to cook the meat quickly. Sure there'd be a lack of taste, but the nutrients were what mattered. By the end of it, Hacil could not stand.

"Food's ready... should last... a few days..." And Hacil passed out while trying to tear into the jerky.

Serenity
    Serenity
    The Much-More-Fun Admin

Post by Serenity Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Four days in...

Every night seemed to be just like the first. Elwyn was pushing herself to near death. She knew exactly where her limits were and was collapsing the moment that she'd get to them. She made sure to eat the trail mix that Hacil provided before fully passing out. This was the only way she could really regain enough of her Anima to keep this up for so long. It was tearing her body up though. The others should also be feeling it. The exhaustion would be setting in. To have your very blood altered by an outside force every day, causing your muscles to be able to move in ways they should not was very dangerous. At this point, it wouldn't have been shocking if the three of them, especially Snopy since he hadn't had much training before now, would need a serious healer or risk permanant damage.

On the third night though, Elwyn's body had been pushed too far. It wasn't her anima, but her body. Her muscles were in an extreme amount of pain. While she was awake, she hid it well. The moment she fell asleep, her face became distorted in pain and her muscles spasmed through for two to three hours afterwards. When she woke, her body was soaked with water, not sweat. It was her body's natural reaction to pain, bring in as much water from the air to soothe her own muscles. Because of this, she was able to continue it to the fourth day. By the time night fell, the group had made such good time that Elwyn stopped early. Nilani needed her rest and continuously moving was harming her. The venom was reaching the peak and Nilani was losing control over her own muscles.

Elwyn came sliding to a stop over one of the hills. They had exited the forest and were in the final stretch. In fact, about thirty miles in the distance, the lights of Hillfort could barely be seen. At this point, Nilani was sweating like crazy. Her body was jerking around and each movement was causing Nilani enough pain that the girl had bitten into her lip to prevent herself from screaming. Elwyn saw this and looked at Nilani as if she had gone crazy, but Elwyn understood why and kept quiet about it. "We're almost there." Elwyn said, looking up toward the dim lights that she could see from here. She laid Nilani down and covered her with a thin blanket. "A-Am I-I... g-g-onna m-make it?" Nilani could barely talk. Each stutter she made was a sign of shots of pain moving through her entire body.

"You're going to be fine." Elwyn told her and kissed her forehead. She stood up and turned toward Hacil and Snopy. Placing hands on both of them, she took away their daily boost and there was a visible sign of relief that washed over Elwyn. Still, when she touched them, her hands were stiff and very shakey. Elwyn glanced to the city, to Snopy, to Hacil, to Nilani, and back to the both of them again. "I'm going." she said through a whispered breath, "The best thing I can do right now is use the Anima I have left to go, get the antidote, and come back. I have enough power to do that..." Elwyn looked to Hacil and put her hands on the side of her sister's face, placing her forehead against hers, "If anything were to happen, I cannot fight to protect Nilani right now. You can. I can only run... just run."

"Protect her." Elwyn said and kissed Hacil's forehead. Though she acted fine, Hacil would be able to feel the shaking and jerking Elwyn's body was doing. Even with this pain, there was no stopping her. "I'll be faster on my own." she said and then turned toward Snopy, taking a deep breath, "You protect my sisters." Her tone toward both of them was laying out a large amount of faith in their ability, which was something Elwyn never usually did. Her guard was down because of the pain and worry. She took one more look at Nilani, whose body was still jerking around. "I'll be back." she said and darted off with the boost just on herself. There was no stopping her at this point. They couldn't keep carrying Nilani with the amount of pain she was in. It was something she felt she had to do.

Schnockles
    Schnockles

Post by Schnockles Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:36 pm

There wasn't much else that happened the first night.  Hacil's criticizing Snopy's thought of having nothing to be proud of only made him sigh a little.  The thing she chose to use as an example was a terrible one for one reason.  "I wish we didn't live in a world where that was something to be proud of, rather than a something that was a given."  It's true, he wished that people wouldn't choose to discriminate someone because they were an elf.  The reverse also likely existed, though to a lesser degree, and he wished it didn't as well.  By the time Hacil came back with food Snopy had fallen asleep, and ended up cuddling up to Elwyn in his sleep.  When they woke up they got right to running, after they ate of course.  Snopy didn't have much time to react before he got tackled by a certain Felli who had been left behind.  She apparently tracked and followed him all that way.  From there though, they ran.  Snopy had a sword at his hip, a crossbow at his back, and a Felli tightly gripping his shoulder.  Snopy was not built for this.  His muscles might only have been enduring Elwyn's strain as long as they had because of adrenaline.  If permanent damage wasn't done, Snopy was definitely going to come out of this stronger.  He tried to come up with ways to lessen the burden.  He was tall, so he'd take long strides whenever he was in an open space, which did lessen the effort a tiny bit.  Still, by day 3 he probably could only walk because of Elwyn's boost.  Whenever they'd stop for the night, after the second night he didn't exactly move from one spot.  He unfortunately needed to rely on the others to get water and food.

Snopy though almost cringed whenever he saw Elwyn asleep.  She was in so much pain.  He wished he knew how to give massages that could relax the muscles a little, but even if he could she might cry out in unimaginable pain.  She seemed to be that bad.  She was soaked in sweat, or at least he thought it was sweat.  It didn't smell like sweat, but it didn't occur to him her powers were drawing water to her.  They hit day four and honestly, Snopy could not handle more.  When Elwyn decided to stop early Snopy collapsed right onto the ground and didn't move for a few seconds.  It might worry them that he died, but he just blacked out for a few moments before coming back to, moving a little.  "I think I passed out for a moment there."  He'd say to alleviate worries that he might have died.   He tried pushing himself to an upright sitting position, but he determined this wouldn't work quite yet.  "I'm...not going to be able to go any further tonight."  He naturally wished he could so they could just acquire the antidote, but he knew if he kept going right now, if he could muster the strength to begin running again, he'd die within an hour.  

He laid on the ground, just letting his body desperately transfer all energy and sustenance it could to his muscles and limbs to begin an attempted healing process.  He might need an actual healer at this point, but he wasn't acquiring one like this.  He wished he knew healing techniques, at least he could help out the others in recuperating.  Seeing how Elwyn reacted to running out of Arcana though, he worried he'd just get himself killed.  One day he might learn human's don't use Arcana like elves to Anima.  He listened as Elwyn reassured Nilani.  He'd have smiled a bit at how much Elwyn cares for Nilani, if it wasn't for that will make Nilani dying even worse.  They had to get to Hillfort...no one needed to lose family today.  He struggled to a sitting position.  The boost was taken off of Snopy, which almost sent him right back on the ground.  He was so fatigued he didn't realize she had yet to remove it.  

Elwyn stated something that worried him.  She was going?  By herself?  It was obvious she meant to since she took the boost from Hacil too.  "Wait Elwyn!"    He was about to try and stop her, but she said something that made it impossible.  All she could do for Nilani at this point was keep running.  He listened as Elwyn gave Hacil a kiss on the forehead, and she even asked Snopy to protect both of them.  He nodded back to her.  "I won't let a single thing bring them harm."  He spoke with confidence, if only to give Elwyn as much peace of mind as he could.  "Don't work yourself to death, you hear me?  You'd better come back.  I don't want to see anyone lose family today." He looked with the most dead serious look he had ever given someone straight into Elwyn's eyes before she turned to leave. Not serious as in threatening, serious as in how concerned her was and how much he seemed to care for all of their well being. Snopy clumsily pulled the crossbow off his back and set it next to him. It'd be easier to move into position there than mounted on his back. It had a safety, so he felt confident in loading a bolt, making sure to still, just in case, point it away from Hacil, Nilani, and the direction Elwyn was now barreling off into. Ahri cuddled up next to him and he lightly patted her head. He managed to keep her with him the entire run. "If only I had some kind of healing magic. It'd come in handy right about now." Snopy turned to Hacil and Nilani."I can't move from this spot...so all I can do is watch out for danger. Hopefully nothing will come our way though." He said as he turned to Nilani. "It'll be all right. You need anything?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:23 am